About Us

Our mission is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as responsible, caring, productive citizens.

The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Chattahoochee Valley is a charter member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. Boys & Girls Clubs of America's tradition of service to our nation's youth began in 1860, when the first Boys Club was established in Hartford, Connecticut. Since then, the organization has grown to serve more than 4.8 million youth annually in more than 4,000 Boys & Girls across the country. Boys & Girls Clubs of America have not only experienced dramatic growth over the last several years, but has become one of the nation's leading charities. The Chronicle of Philanthropy ranked Boys & Girls Clubs of America as one of the top nonprofit organizations, while placing B&GCA in the No. 1 position among youth organization for thirteen consecutive years. 


Our History

In 1937, Mr. Curtis Jordan, Sr., looked about the neighborhoods of Jordan City and decided that a constructive program was needed for the boys of that area. After exploring the need with his friends in the civic and industrial community, he decided that a Boys Club would be the perfect solution. Mr.Jordan established and led the Columbus Boys Club, to which he donated the original property and building, still at its present site on 29th Street. The Columbus Boys Club Board of Directors went on to support the opening of the South and East Columbus Clubs.

 In 1955, the Woodruff family donated land on Cusseta Road in south Columbus for the building of the South Columbus Boys Club. A building committee of the Board of Directors and the Junior League of Columbus pledged to raise $50,000 for the new building, and The Bradley Foundation constructed a swimming pool for the Club. By March of 1967, the Club had tripled its membership and was opening a new 7,000-square-foot addition under the leadership of board president, Mr. Madden Hatcher, Jr. At that time, the Club also purchased four more acres of land for an athletic field.

 In 1967, the Phenix City Boys Club merged with the Columbu sorganization. In 1997, the Boys Club of Columbus & Phenix City changed its membership dramatically and became the Boys & Girls Club of Columbus & Phenix City.

 In April 2006, to better serve the children of Phenix City, the North Phenix City Club merged with the Phenix-Russell Boys & Girls Club organization. The Boys & Girls Clubs of Columbus and Phenix City became the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Chattahoochee Valley. The Phenix City Club is no longer operated by the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Chattahoochee Valley.

 The organization has grown to serve over 3,200 children in five clubs annually, all the while maintaining its commitment to offering affordable annual membership at $40.00 per child for all school-age children (6-18). During the summer, our program is offered Monday through Friday at the North Columbus, J. Barnett Woodruff (formerly South Columbus) and East Columbus Clubs.